27 November 2009

Greta: A Sushi Chef??

Challenged myself today in the kitchen. For the past 10 years I've grown more and more fond of sushi. It started out as a social experiment for hubby and I. We enjoyed it by ourselves or with a group of friends numerous times. Then slowly it climbed the ladder of places-Greta-would-like-to-eat. And now has become my number one pick for date nights!

Started off by reading this more than a few times:

Then rounded up some ingredients...many from our local Wal-Mart!! Here's just a sampling:


And here is the finished product (shrimp/avocado/cucumber/carrot/green onion/wasabi rolls):
All in all it was a productive adventure. Not only did it taste great but it also gave me a confidence boost in the Do-it-yourself Sushi Department!!

6 comments:

Shirley Yoder said...

Interesting!! Dad said hope it tasted better than it smelled at your house yesterday. :) I understand windows had to be opened and airfreshner sprayed to silence the odor.

Chelsa said...

Yikes to the above comment!!
You are braver than I!

Greta said...

Yes, the odor was a bit overwhelming at times! But when you vaporize acetic acid, i.e. boil vinegar, you will always get a stringent smell. But the finished product did taste better than the kitchen smelled!

Shannon said...

lol at that last comment... :) you sound like my mom!!!

Sushi looks good to me! I think you need to try some Chicago sushi soon!

AmberJo said...

i want an invite next time u have it! haha

Tera said...

Oh...Alex will be so jealous. Love your chemisty lingo. We use vinegar in the office occasionally but always call it acetic acid too...Mostly b/c people would probably be surprised at what we use it for...
And, you'll be happy to know I had a discussion on solids, liquids, and gasses with Braylee this week. She is fascinated with science.